Mental Health First Aid: get help if you are struggling

Get help if you're struggling

Get help if you’re struggling

Whilst there is a lot we can do to increase our happiness and wellbeing, if unhelpful and unhealthy patterns of thought or feelings of not being able to cope persist and start to affect our quality of life and relationships, it can be helpful to seek professional support.

If you’re struggling with mental health concerns, remember you’re not alone: according to the World Health Organisation one in four of us will have problems with our mental health or a neurological disorder at some point in our lives.


Get help if you’re struggling : in an emergency

Whatever the situation, if you feel you are experiencing a mental health crisis, seek help immediately by:

Samaritans:  call them for free on 116 123 or email them. They are available at any time of the day or night, 365 days of the year.

Switchboard is a telephone helpline to providing support for anyone identifying as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender and all telephone operators identify as LGBT+

B-eat is a charity supporting people with an eating disorder. They have a helpline providing support and information 365 days a year.

Qwell offers a safe and confidential space to share experiences and gain support from our community and qualified professionals.

There’s a list of excellent resources at Worcestershire County Council who also support the Now We’re talking Campaign aiming to reduce suicide.


StayAlive is a suicide prevention app you can download.


General Practitioners (GPs) are local doctors based in practices (also known as surgeries). GPs are medically trained doctors who help people with minor or chronic illnesses by diagnosing conditions, prescribing medicines and treatments and providing advice and health education to their patients. GPs work closely with other healthcare professionals such as health visitors, midwives, mental health services and social care services. Most mental health issues can be dealt with by your GP, but sometimes you GP might suggest additional therapy from a therapist such as a psychologist, or from a specialist clinic for a given condition.

Our local GPs can be found at Abbottswood Medical Centre and Pershore Medical Practice.

All of the local GPs are part of the local NHS family.

Alternatively call 111 or find them online here.


Browse our other pages for lots of other sources of help with mental health issues, and search our directory for local and national sources of help